(Translated by Eunice Gibson, a CSN Volunteer Translator)
Source: Comunidad de Paz de San José de Apartadó
RENEWED PROCLAMATIONS OF ANNIHILATION
Our Peace Community once again repudiates the horrifying actions that are committed every day against our members and against the people who live and work nearby. We cry out to the national and international community to pressure the national government to put an end to the barbarity that has lasted for more than 17 years. The most recent events are the following:
• On Friday, May 30, 2014, at about 1:20 a.m., several explosions from a long-range weapon were heard right near the urban part of San José de Apartadó. For a long time now the residents are being subjected to constant dread because of the continual gunfire and explosions, and many of the people are convinced that the shooting and explosions come from the armed forces that are quartered there, because of their need to justify their presence and their violent actions around there.
• On Saturday, May 31, 2014, paramilitaries, who in the last few days have been present in the town of Murmullo, District of Batata, the stronghold of the paramilitaries, have been threatening the families of our Peace Community who live in the towns of Alto Joaquín, Las Claras, Naín or El Guineo and Puerto Nuevo, in the District of Tierralta, in Córdoba Province. They announce the complete extermination of our Peace Community, claiming that the farming equipment that the Community has been putting together to help maintain the families that are returning to us, is equipment that belongs to the guerrillas and is made available to them.
• On Monday, June 2, 2014, around 9:25 a.m., an explosive was discharged, and an hour later at exactly 10:35 a.m., a second explosive was discharged in the urban part of San José de Apartadó.
• On Tuesday, June 3, 2014, at about 11:00 a.m., and again at 11:20 a.m., two explosives were discharged in the urban part of San José, right next to the school and the schoolyard. At that very time, the children were doing their work in the school.
• On Wednesday, June 4, 2014, members of our Peace Community found out how the armed forces, using a base installed illegally at the place known as La Antena, in the District of San José, have been breaking into and trespassing on the work and food production areas that belong to four families that live there. We learned that, like the looters they are, they have stolen the families’ food, and have destroyed pastureland and crops of cacao, yucca, corn and beans, besides installing explosives in the area. That has kept the families from going out to work in the fields.
Neither the people who have carried out this savagery and terror, nor their guns, will get us to give up our principles, or to give in to them, or to remain silent and complicit in the face of that savagery.
Peace Community of San José de Apartadó
June 5, 2014